Counseling Center

students in Dame MallWelcome to the Franklin College Counseling Center! The Center provides students with the support and resources to help them to achieve their personal goals and enhance their experience at Franklin College.

The Center offers consultation services to individuals and provides workshops to campus organizations on a variety of psycho-social issues. Our licensed counselors provide services to all students free of charge.

Location and Hours

The Counseling center is in room 222 in the Napolitan Student Center. Hours are Monday – Thursday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.


John R. Shafer, LCSW, Ph.D. is the Director of the Counseling Center. Dr. Shafer has been with Franklin College for more than thirty years. He holds bachelor’s, master’s, and doctorate degrees. Dr. Shafer sees students for a wide variety of issues. His specialties include treating depression, relationship issues and psychological first aid in emergency situations. Dr. Shafer is an expert using the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality test.

Sara M. Kinder,
MSW, LSW is a Counselor in the Counseling Center. Sara has been with Franklin College since March 2015. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Applied Health Science from Indiana University (Bloomington), where she studied Human Development and Family Studies, Psychology, Sociology, and Human Sexuality. Sara obtained her Masters in Social Work from Indiana University (Indianapolis). Her specialties include anxiety, friendship and relationship issues, sexual education and concerns, sexual assault, general stress and financial stress, and depression.


If you are experiencing suicidal or homicidal thoughts or are in any type of crisis situation (sexual assault, violence, etc.) please call 911 immediately. You can also call Franklin College Campus Security at 317.738.8888. If a Counselor is needed at that time, a campus Security Officer will contact one of the counselors to come to campus to provide support.

Counseling Center FAQs

How do I make an appointment?

To make an appointment with a counselor you can email them directly via email. If you do not have a counselor preference, send a single email to both counselors or if you prefer a particular counselor just email that staff member directly. You can also go to the Student Affairs Office on the 2nd floor of the Napolitan Student Center and ask Executive Secretary Marti Schrock to make an appointment with a counselor or call her directly at 317.738.8080.

What can I expect from counseling?

Counseling is a safe process in which you share your thoughts, feeling and behaviors with a therapist. Counseling sessions typically last about 45 minutes in the office. Some clients come in for only one session and others visit us weekly for several sessions. Students can talk about anything in counseling without fear of judgment or shame. The counselors support students through various issues such as roommate conflicts, stress, anxiety, depression, grief and more serious concerns such as mental illness. 

Is what I share confidential?

The Counseling Center at Franklin College abides by the Ethical Standards of the Council for the Advancement of Standards in Higher Education. Confidentiality is considered an ethical priority in the counseling center.

Indiana state law and ethical standards obligate a breach of confidence in the following circumstances: (1) clear and imminent danger to client or others, i.e., suicide, homicide; (2) knowledge of current child abuse; and (3) a court order for client records.

What happens in the case of sexual assault?

If you or a friend have experienced sexual assault, rape, or nonconsensual contact of any kind you should call security at 317.738.8888 for immediate assistance. The security officer will contact a counselor to provide support. In the case of nonemergency assistance you can contact the counseling center at any time to discuss your situation. Please also see the college handbook for further information.

What is consultation?

The counselors provide consultation to a variety of persons. If you are concerned about another student, you can speak with a counselor about your concerns. If you are a faculty or staff member, you can share your concerns with us about a student.