Complaint Policies and Procedures

Franklin College Student Complaint Policy and Procedures

The College has an obligation to provide an avenue for students to share concerns, to identify problems, and to appropriately address areas of concern. Federal regulations and accreditation agencies require policies specific to a variety of concerns. Additionally, the College must track significant concerns and monitor the quality of our services.

Franklin College strives to address student concerns in a prompt and responsive manner. The purpose of this policy is to outline the processes by which Franklin College students can register concerns and complaints and seek redress. Students have multiple ways to express concerns either informally or formally as indicated below. This document also provides a process for reporting and tracking concerns that are not addressed by or remain unresolved after exhausting other existing procedures.

Initial Steps to Resolve Concerns

  1. Members of the Franklin College community are first encouraged to address difficulties and resolve conflicts that arise directly with the parties involved.
  2. The next step for resolving a concern is generally to approach the supervisor responsible for the area related to the concern.
  3. Should this prove unsatisfactory or inappropriate for resolving a specific concern, a student may file a formal complaint as outlined later in this document.

Most student concerns are governed by one of the college’s established procedures. Before filing a formal complaint, a student is expected to seek resolution through the channels as explained in the following section.

Established Policies and Procedures for Addressing Student Concerns

Information can be found in several different locations regarding the policies and procedures in each of the following areas:

Academic Records & Privacy

See the academic policies section of the college catalog for the full FERPA policy.

Academic Integrity

There are specific procedures for students who wish to dispute an academic decision which can be found in the academic policies section of the college catalog.


Every student has the right to one appeal of an admission decision. You may do so through your admissions counselor or by contacting the Office of Admission at 1.888.852.6471;


See the Student-Athlete Handbook for more information on the grievance policy in Athletics at Franklin College.

Bias, Harassment, Sexual Misconduct

Bias, harassment and sexual misconduct are addressed through the procedures found on the student life tab of the college webpage here.

Disability Services

A student with disability should first contact the assistant dean for academic services when accommodation-related concerns arise. More information on the formal complaint process is also available on the disability services web page, or by calling or emailing the Academic Resource Center at 317.738.8288;

Residence Life

Concerns related to various aspects of Residence Life can be submitted by email ( or by phone at 317.738.8080. The concern will be routed to the appropriate parties for response.

Financial Aid

Prospective and current students have a right to request a review of a financial aid decision. To request such a review, contact the office of financial aid at 317.738.8075 or by email at

Student Conduct and Campus Life

Tuition, Fees & Student Accounts

Complaints and concerns regarding handling of and decisions about tuition, fees, and student accounts should be communicated to the Business Office 317.738-8031.

Student Formal Complaint Process

The formal complaint process governs concerns that are either (1) not addressed by or (2) not resolved through any of the established policies described in the previous section. A student who feels that he or she has been treated unfairly or unjustly by any employee has the right to file a formal complaint. Complaints may be submitted by a student currently enrolled, a person enrolled in the previous academic year, an alumnus who earned a degree from the institution in the past 12 months. Complaints may be filed up to 120 days from the date of the incident. Complaints may not be filed anonymously and may not be submitted by a parent, relative, employer or the public, etc. (even if related to a student).

For a complaint to be considered it must:

  • Be signed by the student submitting the complaint
  • Be submitted in writing
  • Include nature of the complaint and college department/employee involved
  • Outline the steps taken previously to resolve the complaint
  • Express the desired resolution
  • Be delivered via email to

Complaints received at this email address will be reviewed by the Vice President for Student Affairs who will assess whether the reported concern conforms to the criteria for a formal complaint outlined above. If it is determined to constitute a complaint, the complainant will be informed of that. The complaint will then be forwarded to the college official(s) best positioned to handle the concern. The official(s) will consider the complaint and respond in writing to the student generally within 30 calendar days of the submission of the complaint with recommended appropriate resolution. The Vice President for Student Affairs will keep a record of student complaints.

Institutional Record of Student Complaints

Complaint information that is tracked:

  • Date complaint received
  • Student(s) identified in complaint
  • Nature of the complaint
  • Steps taken to resolve the complaint
  • Final decision or action taken by college
  • Any external contact initiated by the student

Franklin College will maintain and annually review this record of student complaints. Giving attention to patterns of complaints will allow for improvement in college operations. This review will consider:

  • Total number of complaints received
  • Types of complaints received by generic category
  • Total number of complaints referred to external agency for final resolution
  • Summary of complaints, actions taken, external referrals make

Complaints to External Agencies

Student complaints not resolved through the College’s formal complaint process outlined here may be reported to an external agency, including the Higher Learning Commission, The Office of Civil Rights and the Indiana Commission on Higher Education. We recommend that students refer to the specific agency’s policies and requirements for filing as many agencies require students to first exhaust their college’s grievance procedures.

Higher Learning Commission
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604

Indiana Commission on Higher Education
101 West Ohio Street, Suite 300
Indianapolis, IN 46204-4206

US Department of Education
National Headquarters
U.S. Department of Education – Office for Civil Rights
Lyndon Baines Johnson Department of Education Bldg
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-1100

Chicago Office (oversight for Indiana)
Office for Civil rights – US Department of Education
Citigroup Center
500 W. Madison Street, Suite 1475
Chicago, IL 60661-4544
Telephone: 312.730.1560

US Dept. of Education
Family Policy Compliance Office
400 Maryland Ave., S.W.
Washington, DC 20202

Non-Retaliation Statement

Retaliation, or attempts to retaliate, against any individual who files a grievance or complaint is strictly prohibited.