When you choose athletic training at Franklin College, your journey begins immediately with real-world experiences. You’ll spend two days a week in classes and have the opportunity to work with practicing health professionals in a variety of settings on the other 3-4 days.
Nine customizable clinical rotation experiences provide opportunities in a variety of athletic training employment settings and deliver a wide-range of experiences to make students employable in many settings. Within the 9-course clinical rotation curriculum, students complete two separate four-week clinical immersive experiences. During these practice-intensive experiences, students work side-by-side with a certified athletic trainer without the interruption of in-class educational activities.
Year 1 – Summer and Fall Semesters
Spend 2-3 weeks during the summer at one clinical site and three one-month rotations in the fall to gain a breadth of experiences in a variety of settings.
Year 1 – January
Participate in a surgical orthopedic rotation, observing live procedures right in the operating room alongside physicians and other healthcare professionals.
Year 1 – Spring Semester and Year 2 – Fall and Spring Semester
Spend each of these three semesters at sites selected based on your career interests, working alongside practicing health professionals who serve as your mentors/preceptors and real-world instructors.
- At the beginning of fall year 2, student have their first of two clinical immersive experiences in August
- Year 2 in the spring students will complete their second clinical immersive experience
Year 2 – January
Be involved in a fully immersive clinical experience that allows students to participate in the day-to-day and week-to-week role of an athletic trainer for a minimum of one continuous four-week period.
- Butler University
- Franklin College
- Franklin Community High School
- Greenwood Community High School
- Hayden Physical Therapy
- Indy Eleven (soccer)
- Indy Fuel (hockey)
- Johnson Memorial Hospital Emergency Medicine
- Johnson Memorial Orthopedics
- Marian University
- Methodist Sports Medicine
- Pro X Athlete Development and Team Rehab
- Roncalli High School
- Select Physical Therapy
- Shelbyville High School
- Southport High School
- Southern Indiana Orthopedics
- Southport High School
- St. Vincent Sports Performance
- Whiteland Community High School