Studying public relations at Franklin College is much like working in the PR profession itself – creative, service-oriented, fast-paced, exhilarating, challenging, and, ultimately, rewarding when good work reaps good results.
For many students, exploring the PR major at Franklin leads to discovering a career and a college they may not have known much about, but that quickly become passions.
The foundation of public relations work is writing: social media posts, news releases, web site copy, speeches, and informational/promotional screenplays, to name just a few examples. PR work also involves graphic design, digital photography, videography, media relations, strategic planning and crisis communications.
Download the Public Relations Handout (PDF)
Using the broad, strong anchor of the liberal arts, the major in public relations focuses on preparing students for careers as creative, strategic and ethical communicators in business, government and nonprofit settings. PR students study in Franklin’s prestigious Pulliam School of Journalism, and have access to multimedia technology used in news and PR careers. Here are some of the practice areas in which PR pros can work after majoring in PR at Franklin:
- Corporate Communications – for businesses that sell stock and produce goods/services;
- Healthcare Communications – for hospitals, medical practice groups, insurance companies, medical device manufacturers, medical schools;
- Sports Information – for college and pro sports teams;
- Government Communications – for departments in federal, state and local governments;
- Education Communications – for K-12 schools and colleges/universities;
- Nonprofit Communications – for organizations that provide much-needed services to communities, countries or the world;
- Faith-based Communications – for religion-focused organizations;
- Travel/Tourism Communications – for airlines, state/city convention bureaus, hotel chains;
- Arts/Culture Communications – for galleries, museums, theaters, orchestras, dance companies;
- PR Agencies – for a variety of clients in all of the above areas.