Students, based on their interests and availability, may attend conferences, workshops, seminars and networking outings with PR pros. Off-campus special travel opportunities pop up frequently and have included the following:
- a diversity internship workshop at the largest PR agency in Indiana;
- a New York City conference focusing on careers for women in advertising, marketing and public relations;
- crisis communications drills involving first responders, K-12 school administrators, and the Indiana State Police;
- a launch at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida;
- a tour of Chicago PR and news media outlets;
- trips to produce multi-media, online PR stories from museums and historic sites (such as Mt. Rushmore) throughout the Midwest;
- crisis communications training at an Indiana National Guard base.
Other student opportunities:
- Internships: All PR students are required to do an internship; some do five internships while at Franklin.
- On-campus PR projects: Many students get hands-on PR experiences by using their writing, design, photo and video skills to help various departments and groups at the college.
- Student media: PR students are welcome – and strongly encouraged – to do journalism (excellent training for future PR pros) in the college’s print, broadcast and online student news outlets.
A small sampling of the many places at which Franklin PR students have interned:
- Borshoff (agency)
- Dittoe Public Relations (agency)
- Greenwood Chamber of Commerce
- Hirons (agency)
- Indianapolis Colts
- Indiana Department of Homeland Security
- Indiana Pacers
- Kroger (corporate communications)
- Office of the Mayor of Indianapolis
- University of Southern California (sports information)