
Since it was founded in 1834, Franklin College has been a leader in higher education.

Originally known as the Indiana Baptist Manual Labor Institute, Franklin College was founded as an educational society by Baptist ministers and laymen.

Franklin College admits 28 women to a Women's Department making it the first coeducational college in Indiana.

Construction begins on Chandler Hall, also known as Old North, to be the first permanent building on campus. Construction is finished in 1847.

John Wesley Dame becomes the first graduate of Franklin College. In 1970, the college dedicates Dame Mall in his honor.

Prudence Hougham, Viola Parks and Theodosia Parks become the first women to graduate from Franklin College.

The college declares its official school colors to be old gold and navy blue.

Arthur Wilson becomes the first African American to graduate from Franklin College, preparing for a distinguished career as a medical doctor.

Members of the Wonder Five basketball team begin playing together at Alva Neal High School in Franklin winning three consecutive championships. They go on to play together with their coach at Franklin College, winning a national championship in 1923.

Roger D. Branigin graduates from Franklin College in 1924. In 1964, he is elected as Indiana's 42nd governor.

Writers at "The Franklin" student newspaper begin to refer to the athletic teams as the Grizzlies, a tribute to Ernest B. "Griz" Wagner, legendary basketball coach who led the team from 1922 to 1933. Before this the teams are known as the "Fighting Baptists," "The Deacons," and the "Blue and Gold." Wagner graduated from Franklin College in 1912.

The Franklin College and Hanover College football teams begin playing for a rivalry trophy called the Victory Bell.

The Franklin College and Hanover College football teams begin playing for a rivalry trophy called the Victory Bell.

The Franklin College Chapel is built. The Indiana Baptist Convention contributes to the construction as "a reminder of the founding of Franklin College by pioneer Baptists and the continuing relationship of the College with the churches." Following renovations, it is rededicated in 2008 as the Richardson Chapel to honor the college's 10th president, Harold Wellington Richardson.

A fire destroys Bryan Hall on campus. The residence hall had stood on the Franklin College campus since 1908.

Students working in Old Main around 9 p.m. on April 21, 1985 discover a fire on the third floor. No one is seriously injured but the building is heavily damaged.

Susan Johnson DeVoss '65 is elected chair of the Franklin College Board of Trustees. She is the first woman elected to this position.

The college dedicates the new state-of-the-art Science Center. The project involved the design of Lacy Labs, a contemporary lab building, and the renovation of historic Barnes Hall, which was built in 1927 and renovated in 1987.

Dignitaries from the college, city and Johnson Memorial Health dedicated the new Johnson Memorial Health Athletic Annex, a new indoor multi-use facility for the college's athletic teams.

College officials dedicate the Center for Tech Innovation. The facility serves as the hub for the Digital Fluency Initiative, which seeks to provide students further access to hands-on learning in digital skills.

The college announces the National Park Service has designated a portion of the 207-acre campus as a National Register Historic District. The distinction recognizes the college's impact on higher education for nearly 200 years.

Franklin College will commemorate the culmination of a week-long celebration of Homecoming events on Oct. 11, 2025.