Pre-Physical Therapy Program
Download the Pre-Health Professions Handout
A degree in biology or chemistry from Franklin College provides many of the foundation courses required for acceptance into a physical therapy Masters or Doctoral program and, at the same time, provides you with a very marketable degree in case you chose not to pursue further study in the area of physical therapy. Another option for pursuing pre-physical therapy training would be to earn a degree in Athletic Training. If you choose that route, you should plan your schedule with Professor Kathy Remsburg who is in charge of the Athletic Training program.
The following are required for consideration for admission at the University of Indianapolis:
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 (Average GPA of applicants admitted is 3.7)
- Completion of at least 94 semester hours toward a baccalaureate degree at the time of admission and completion of the bachelors degree by the conclusion of the second semester of the second year of the program.
- General aptitude test of the Graduate Record Examination
- Three letters of recommendation, including one from a physical therapist
- Completion of the following prerequisite courses with a grade of at least a “C” in each course and a prerequisite GPA of at least 3.0. Courses taken on a pass fail basis will not count for prerequisites.
Chemistry 1 year sequence w/lab 6-8 credits – CHE 121-124 General Chemistry I & II (10 hours)
Physics 1 year sequence w/lab 6-8 credits: PHY 221 and 222 General Physics I & II (5 hours)
General Biology with lab 3-4 credits: BIO 134 Principles of Biology (4 hours)
Anatomy and Physiology w/ lab 6-8 credits: Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II (8 hours)
Behavioral Sciences – 6 credits in Psychology, Sociology, etc.
Statistics: MAT/PSY 224 Basic Applied Statistics (3 hours)
- The University of Indianapolis requires documentation of computer literacy for admission into its DPT program. Students who successfully complete BIO 140 and BIO 120 will be considered to have demonstrated computer literacy and appropriate documentation will be supplied to University of Indianapolis upon request.
- Application forms for the University of Indianapolis Krannert School of Physical Therapy are available at http://pt.uindy.edu/. Applications are due by October 1 for the following fall semester.
Medical Terminology is strongly recommended. (ATR 121 Medical Terminology and Documentation for Allied Health Professions)
Other Recommended Courses:
- BIO 387 Biomechanics (3 hours)
- EXE 372 Exercise Physiology (3 hours)
- EXE 382 Motor Learning (3 hours)
- EXE 385 Sport and Exercise Psychology (3 hours)
Physical Therapy Links & Articles
University of Indianapolis – Professional Doctor of Physical Therapy
The Role of a Physical Therapist
American Physical Therapy Association
Pre-PT 4-Year Plan
Dr. Alice Heikens