“My teaching philosophy is centered on preparing physician assistant students for clinical practice as empathetic, patient-centered providers. Although my teaching responsibilities range from the basic sciences to clinical medicine, my goal is to include real world clinical examples during each lecture.”
Founding program director; assistant professor of physician assistant studies
- Ph.D., University of Georgia – Athens, GA
- MSPAS, Baylor College of Medicine –Houston, TX
- B.S., University of Georgia – Athens, GA
Year joined Franklin
With a basic science background in biochemistry and genetics, I understand the importance of a good science foundation in the understanding of the pathophysiology of disease; PA practice in orthopedics and emergency medicine
What is Accreditation-Provisional and how does this affect students in the program?
Accreditation-Provisional is the only status that a new PA program may obtain and it allows graduates from the program the ability to take the board exam, become licensed, and practice as a PA.
Selected Professional Accomplishments
Certifications and licensure
- NCCPA Certified
- Indiana PA license
- Physician Assistant Education Association
- American Academy of PAs (AAPA)
- Indiana Academy of PAs (IAPA)
- Rhode Island Academy of PAs (RIAPA)
- Director at Large, 2016-2017
- Thomas P. Meehan and Prema Narayan. 2007 Constitutively active luteinizing hormone receptors: consequences of in vivo expression. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology 260-262, 294-300.
- Thomas P. Meehan, Koichi Tabeta, Xin Du, Lanette S. Woodward, Karen Firozi, Bruce Beutler, and Monica J. Justice. 2006 Point mutations in the melanocortin-4 receptor cause variable obesity in mice. Mammalian Genome 17, 1162-1171.
- Thomas P. Meehan, Barry G. Harmon, Megan E. Overcast, Kristine K. Yu, Sally A. Camper, David Puett, and Prema Narayan. 2005 Gonadal defects and hormonal alterations in transgenic mice expressing a single chain human chorionic gonadotropin-lutropin receptor complex. Journal of Molecular Endocrinology 34, 489-503.
What Students Say
“Dr. Meehan is able to simplify a concept to the appropriate level of the learner and move through the material at a pace that ensures that all students achieve expected outcomes.” – Name and year of graduation
In My Spare Time…
In my spare time, I am active with my kids in sports (tennis, baseball) and I am an avid runner, cyclist, and triathlete. Through a whole-food plant-based diet, I strive to improve each day.