Safe Zone is a training session designed to increase the overall campus community’s understanding and awareness of issues faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning (LGBTQIA) and other marginalized persons. Safe Zone was created to provide a more inclusive and accepting campus climate. FC supports diversity in every way possible. Safe Zone is a way to say that all sexual orientations and gender identity and expressions are part of our culture and are acknowledged and supported. Safe Zone is offered twice a year as well as to groups upon request.
Purpose of Safe Zone
- Provide space for open, honest discussion of LGBTQIA topics, ideas, and issues.
- To identify members of the FC community who will model support, affirmation, and inclusion of LGBTQIA people.
- To reduce homophobia and heterosexism on the FC campus, thereby making our campus a safer and more affirming environment for all members of our community regardless of sexual orientation.
- To train individuals to serve as resources for LGBTQIA students, faculty and staff.
- To educate the campus community about LGBTQIA issues.
Goals of Safe Zone
- Promote an environment where each member of the FC community is welcomed and valued.
- Promote understanding, acceptance, and appreciation of our LGBTQIA students.
- Promote a culture of inclusion at FC through a network of Safe Zone trained students, faculty, and staff who support our LGBTQIA students; understand the unique challenges faced by the LGBTQIA community; are aware of campus resources; and work to challenge discrimination, homophobia, heterosexism, and ignorance.
Safe Zone Schedule for Fall Semester of 2016
Safe Zone 1
March 15, 2017
Student Center Room 245
Safe Zone 2
April 5, 2017
Student Center 245
Safe Zone Two contains more advanced information. You must have completed the updated Safe Zone One program before registering for Safe Zone Two.
Safe Zone is sponsored by the Office of Diversity & Inclusion, the Counseling Center and Residence Life.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or to register.