Medical Scientist Training
- This program encourages and supports the training of students with outstanding credentials and potential who are motivated to undertake careers in biomedical research and academic medicine. MSTP students participate in an integrated program of graduate training in the biomedical sciences and clinical training offered through medical schools. Graduates receive the combined M.D.-Ph.D. degree, and the majority of them pursue careers in basic biomedical or clinical research.
- MSTP participants may choose from a wide range of research training programs in the biological, chemical, or physical sciences. Other disciplines in which MSTP participants can pursue graduate study include the computer sciences, social and behavioral sciences, economics, epidemiology, public health, bioengineering, biostatistics, and bioethics.
Should contact a MSTP participating institution.
- The program provides a maximum of 6 years of support, although an individual's course of study for the combined degree may take somewhat longer. All institutions identify other sources of support for a trainee’s additional years of study. Trainee support provided by an MSTP grant includes the following:
- tuition allowance
- modest sums for travel, equipment, and supplies.
- Many institutions supplement the basic stipend provided by the MSTP grant.
Dr. Hisaya Kitaoka
Individuals who wish to enter the MSTP should contact the program office at the participating institution(s)of their choice directly for curriculum information and admission requirements. Interested institutions should contact the NIGMS program director for information concerning the program.