Elmon and Lucile Williams Endowed Chair In Law and Public Service
Established with a gift in 1989, the Elmon and Lucile Williams Endowed Chair in Law and Public Service provides a permanent endowment within the Department of Political Science. The gift represented a significant milestone in the College's emphasis on academic and programmatic enhancement. Elmon Williams attended Franklin College from 1924 to 1926. He received a law degree from Indiana University in 1930 and an honorary doctor of laws degree from Franklin College in 1984. Williams was named to the Franklin College Board of Trustees in 1985. Lucile Williams, who was named an Associate Alumna of the College in 1987, was a longtime supporter of the College. She enjoyed a career in professional merchandising and was very active in the Indianapolis and Greenwood communities. Mr. and Mrs. Williams were the first persons to financially support the Old Main renovation and restoration after the tragic 1985 fires. He donated his entire law library to the College and his law office furniture graces the Presidential Study in the tower of Old Main.