Many students dream of participating in study away opportunities at Franklin College, but there are few that actually follow through with this dream. Most concerns can be easily addressed.
1. I can’t afford it. For many students, participating in an off-campus study experience can actually end up costing less than a traditional semester at Franklin. There are a number of scholarships available if you do some research.
2. I want to graduate in four years. You can still graduate in four years. If you plan your study away with your advisor and the Office of International and Off-Campus Study, your time will be organized to ensure graduation after four years.
3. I am an athlete, and I can’t miss my season. Simple planning will allow you to study away, even if you are an athlete. You can pick a semester that you are not busy with sports; go for a shorter summer term; or plan a Winter Term trip.
4. I don’t speak a foreign language. There are many options for study away that do not have a language requirement. If you have some experience with a language, a semester away can greatly increase your skill and understanding.
5. It is too much work. We will help you with every step along the way: from deciding which program and destination is right to paying for it and scheduling your classes.
6. It is unsafe to go overseas. The Office of International and Off-Campus Study works hard to ensure the safety of each student. We participate in stable programs all over the world that are staffed with reliable contacts.